If you love spending time outside, having a space in your home to enjoy the surrounding nature should be a top priority. Whether you want to capture gorgeous views, create a lovely outdoor lounge area, or enjoy the comforts of an inviting pool, marrying the environment with your home design will help you achieve luxury and balance. For inspiration, explore these top outdoor living space ideas!
When you’re ready to design your dream home, the team at The Anderson Studio of Architecture and Design is here to assist you. Contact us today to get started.
Transform Your Rooftop
The roof is one area that’s often overlooked as an outdoor living space during the home design process. Don’t let your rooftop become dead space! Instead, transform it into a lovely lounge area that capitalizes on the surrounding views.
Using your roof as an outdoor living space offers so many advantages. You can enjoy panoramic views of your surroundings, catch a lovely breeze, have a better look at the stars, and increase the square footage of your home. Design your rooftop with transparent railings to further increase visibility, and include plush furniture for a welcoming, relaxed feel.
Relax on a Spacious Deck
While a rooftop may feel slightly removed from the home, a deck can be more prominently integrated into your home design. Including a large wall of windows that overlooks the deck area can beautifully blur the line as to where your home ends and the outdoor living space begins. When connected to an open-air living space such as a dining room or kitchen, you’ll feel encouraged to naturally move about the deck and the indoor space as if they are one.
Again, we recommend selecting transparent railings to enhance your views. Furniture that’s designed in similar tones to the exterior accents of your home will also help you create a stunning, cohesive look.
Create a Poolside Oasis
There’s nothing like grilling, dining, or lounging by the pool on a gorgeous, sunny day. When designing an outdoor pool area, we recommend keeping the following tips in mind:
- Carefully select the pool deck material. It’s crucial to pick a material that is not overly slippery when wet to reduce falls.
- Consider its primary use. If you enjoy swimming laps in the pool, your pool should be long enough to accommodate your needs. On the other hand, if you simply enjoy a dip to cool off, opt for a more intimate design.
- Decide where to place your pool. Pools don’t have to be restricted to ground-level. In fact, having one inset on a raised deck provides a fantastic opportunity to create a gorgeous infinity pool that overlooks your breathtaking views.
- Account for shade. After a few hours in the sun, you’ll likely be longing for shade. A connected, covered, open-air porch will allow you to dry off and continue to enjoy the weather before stepping back inside. You can even include ceiling fans in this space for additional coolness and comfort.
Embrace Indoor/Outdoor Rooms
Immerse yourself in your surroundings by creating functional living spaces that continue to blur the line between your home and the environment:
- Outdoor kitchen. For many, having an outdoor kitchen area filled with rust-resistant, stainless-steel appliances is a dream. On summer days, this is a perfect place to grill out and unwind while people enjoy the nearby pool. Plus, with the addition of a cozy fireplace, this space remains useable year-round, even when the weather begins to cool off.
- Open-air dining. It’s entirely possible to design a dining area with walls that are totally open to the outside environment. If you want to bring in plenty of natural sunlight, conduct a lovely breeze, and capitalize on the view, this is a bold way to integrate your home into the landscape.
- Living room with floor-to-ceiling windows. If you’re not as comfortable with total openness to the outdoors, you can create the illusion of being outside with the use of floor-to-ceiling windows that span the entire length of your living space. This sleek, unobstructed view makes the environment a true feature of your home.
Include Thoughtful, Unique Touches
When you include thoughtful touches in your outdoor living space, they’ll entice you to continue to use the space while allowing your unique personality to shine through.
Take, for instance, the addition of these life-size chess pieces. Their crisp, dark wood makes the space feel refined, but their presence adds an interesting, playful dynamic that encourages you to spend more time in this area.
Another unique feature you might consider adding to your outdoor living area is a hanging glider swing. These unconventional chairs also offer a touch of playfulness and are simply relaxing to sit in, as they allow you to gently glide back and forth. Although these may be seemingly small features, they can bring a lot of charm to your outdoor living space.
Design Your Dream Home
We hope these top outdoor living space ideas have provided you with some inspiration. If you’re looking for an experienced team to help you design the home of your dreams, we’re ready to help. At The Anderson Studio of Architecture and Design, our team of professional architects and interior designers have the experience and expertise needed to bring your vision to life. We’ll work with you every step of the way to create a home that meets all of your needs.
Contact us today to take the first step toward designing a home that you’ll love for many years to come.